On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 11:43:20 +0100
"David Kennedy" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> More seriously, can somebody please explain why some people think
>> it's 'all right' to adopt false identities in cyberspace? Why don't
>> people want to function as themselves? It makes no sense in the 'real
>> world' so why do it here? And in the context of employment, tax,
>> bills etc it'd be regarded as fraud or dishonesty wouldn't it? Or
>> perhaps these people have got multiple passports and bank accounts...

there are many reasons for adopting personae and i've come across lots
of interesting examples. i know people who use personae to discover or
explore aspects of themselves, or to experience life outside their
allotted "subclass" [like women who wish to be taken seriously and
avoid abuse, etc. one woman i know resorted to a "genderless persona"
and was amazed by the total absence of backchannel hassle from the male
members of lists to which she posted]. i know people who do it to avoid
stalking and others who do it because they find a greater ease of
social interaction online than they do offline and wish to leave behind
the inertia of offline selves.

there are also those who have things to say which certain others would
rather were not said. lots of people have very restrictive employment
contracts these days. also, given that on poetry lists a lot of the
members are publishers, editors, reviewers, pals, etc, then speaking
out could be considered quite foolhardy for some. i like to see
personae on lists because they can resist the consensi which tend to
dominate and oppress minorities.

personae can be used for mischief of course, and i don't condone such
use, but personae are not the only listfolk who behave badly, by any
means. and if any persona user breaks the law they are as accountable
as anyone else - in that sense true anonymity is difficult to achieve.

hotmail is just a convenient free [webmail] service - there are many
other services [including countless free accounts, and not to mention
the "lifetime email address" type of service which offer numerous
different email address formats]. thus to ban hotmail addresses would
simply make it more difficult to identify personae and lead eventually
to a long list of banned domains, a list which needed to be updated
constantly [like virus software]. things get even sillier further down
this road.

>> Perhaps, in the context of Roddy's original post, people with
>> hotmail accounts shouldn't be allowed to join. These fakers always
>> seem to have them, don't they?

why must we always look for ways to exclude? we are all free to filter
the cyberstream according to our own sensibilities. all i know of you
is what i see on my screen - your "persona". you'd laugh if you saw
yourself as i see you. [or maybe you wouldn't.]

regards

steve

http://www.fluoro.org