Thanks to Douglas Clark, Tim Bass and Roddy Lumsden for their elucidation.
Yes, I've looked at the map, and Whitby it is! A harbour and an abbey...I
can only think the message came from someone driving along the East coast,
who stopped to look out at Holy Isle and then proceeded on to Whitby.

And to Candice Ward: Yes, there is a family connection. Kitson is a
Yorkshire name (first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle of 1136 as
Kittesonne = son of Christopher). In addition, I am the family member given
the task of researching our antecedents. And I'm having a lot of trouble
tracing my g-g-g-grandfather, born about 1822 and arrived in Australia 1854.
So perhaps this is a CLUE from the OTHER SIDE!

As to the Captain Cook connection; now, that is really interesting. Was
there a seafaring Kitson among the crew of any of Cook's voyages?

Oddly enough, "all this" is pertinent to an image that has been haunting me
for the past month or so: a man trudging down a bush track in outback
Queensland - I can hear the crows, smell the dust. I've just been waiting
for that image to "gel" into the germ of an idea: for a short-story or
novel. The Condamine Shearers Strike, birth of the Australian Labor
Party....and "home" (as GB was for that generation).

Damn me! I'm inspired! It's off to the library for more research. So a big
thank-you to the mysterious fax sender.

Thanks to all,
Viv