Hi Dominic,

Yes, important point.  There was commotion a number of years
ago regarding an exhibition of Nazi art in one of the London
galleries, including propaganda posters and the like.  Some
voices were opposed, naturally -- those in favour made the point
that it is better to know than not to know, or as you say, to
remember rather than forget . . . to preserve the cultural context
as a source of knowledge.

In a similar vein, if we accept the State as author in matters of
propaganda, would we hope to obliterate all traces of Communist
art?  Typographers today are still using elements of this style in
their work, most notably in 'Face' magazine (or at least in the
early days of production, not sure whether it's continued).

Mark looked back to the mediaeval period . . . Christian
iconography may also be seen as the polite face of torture,
on an unimaginable scale.  To >cope, compromise and
compartmentalize< about sums it up.  There must be very little
in the way of art which isn't unsullied somewhere along the line.

Having said that, I really can't argue with Ally's position of non-
compromise -- >there are limits< for each individual, which
are to be respected.

Dominic -- your poem.  I first read this extract on brit-poets,
and find it more powerful when read in the light of this discussion.
It would serve as an ideal paradigm in the 'clarity/ difficulty'
debate, although perhaps you may not be keen to have it so
used . . . .

The S.J. quote has also provoked a question with regard to
Hill's work -- is it true to say he writes of torture in a sensual
fashion?  Or perhaps more generally, if writing poetry itself is
a sensual act, linguistically, how do we read references to such
terrible acts -- if they are 'transfigured' (as they must be) in this
way?  And how does this reflect (or contradict) Hill's sense of
the scrupulous?  It is not merely a case of 'saying what happened'
surely?  I guess I have developed a suspicion of Hill's passion
for such details, over the years, and would appreciate your view
on the matter.

By the way, I would have liked to have seen the complete S.J.
quote in the poem, rather than having it amputated . . . just
personal pref.

Andy