Andrew Jackson writes:
<<This is a fair point, but there are different contexts at work. The
formalists, in observing these particular modernist developments, could
argue that poetry was in severe danger of becoming the sole property of
academics.>>

They could & they do. But the assumption that poetry is dead is not
supported by the facts--the stuff is oozing out all over the place. And
someone is writing all those centered lines & sending them to me at the
Wallace Stevens Journal. And those folks, even if they have never read
the journal (which they mostly haven't) want to be published in my
rather academic magazine. This particular form of attack on Modernism &
free verse is another form of anti-intellectualism. Ditto the arguments
bearing on "clarity" & obscurity--good poetry is as difficult as it has
to be.

In the rest of you post you rehearse the arguments made by Dana Gioia,
chief theorist of the New Formalists, a few years ago in his essay "Can
Poetry Matter?"--I figure he'll be sending you a membership card in the
next few days. I'm all for getting away from "schools"--it was only a
few days ago I posted a triolet to this list.

 jd
Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts-5750
Clarkson University
Potsdam NY 13699

"Always come down from the barren heights
of cleverness into the green valleys of folly."
 ::Wittgenstein