On: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:31:00 +0100
"Ally Kerr" <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>I'm so glad to hear that Eric Gill created lots of pretty typefaces
when he >had a moment to spare from abusing his daughters (see his
biography, >Fiona someone I think). Really redeems him, eh?  I know
we're meant to >forgive artists their private life in consideration of
their genius, but there's a >limit and if I ever came to own anything of
Gill's I'd take great pleasure in >burning it, however much it cost.

Ally Kerr

I can't believe you really mean this. Would you really rather have
destroyed one of Adolf Hitler's paintings than the man himself? And they
weren't even great art. Appreciating Eric Gill's worth and importance as
an artist (as I believe Fiona MacCarthy does) is a very different thing
from condoning dubious elements in his private life.

Dave
Dave Lovely