MINE

Full of terror I write to you from within a nocturnal mineshaft
lit by a tiny thimble-like lamp
a wagon carefully passes over me
it searches my dimensions so as not to hit me
and I pretend sometimes to sleep and sometimes
that I am darning an old pair of socks
for everything around me has strangely aged

At home
yesterday
as I was opening the wardrobe it faded away became
dust together with all its clothes
the plates break as soon as one touches them
I am afraid and I have hidden the knives and forks
my hair has become something like tow
my mouth has whitened and hurts
my arms are stone
my legs wooden
three children hang around me crying
I don't know how it happened and they call me mother

I wanted to write to you about our old joys
But I have forgotten how to write of happy things

Remember me

Miltos Sahtouris
trans. Vasili Stavropoulos