Ah, I see this one went back-channel by accident --

>One can hardly blame Plath for her acolytes; all strong poets breed
flurries of incompetent imitations.<

No, I certainly wouldn't blame Plath for this . . . impossible to do
in retrospect.  Just highlighting how pervasive this language
has become with regard to soul-baring . . . as if the soul were
a blood-clotted circus of horrors.

I guess my point would be that it is sometimes the weaknesses of
certain writers which are liable to influence others just as
much as their strengths . . .

I'm thinking for example of Dylan Thomas's propensity for
creating sound-salads, which had a terrible influence on
W.S. Graham's early work.  Thankfully he got over it . . . .

The objection to Plath would be her over-use of such 'horrors' in the
first place, I think -- an excess which lead to similarly excessive
imitations down the line.

The Bee poems succeed, I think, because this urge is reined-in.
Like any horror film, it's what you don't see -- what you imagine
to be there just out of shot -- that's most terrifying.  The gore itself
is just ketchup.

I'm suddenly reminded of my *favourite* Szymborska poem,
'Experiment' -- and wondering how Plath would have treated
this same subject.  I think the power of Szymborska here
is the very casualness of her style -- she doesn't overplay the
scene, but allows it to speak for itself.  Almost fell off my chair
first time I read this.

In Plath's 'Thalidomide', on the other hand, I get the uneasy feeling
that Plath is simply 'getting off' on the imagery of this subject . . .
turning it into yet another act for her bloody circus.

Andy