Stephen,
it's late & Ive had a long day, but I wanted to try to correct an
apparent misperception of my point of view. First, I don't have any
objection in principle to paying any amount $N for a book of poems.
Like anyone, I will make a market calculation that has to do with
the situation of my life. In fact, I have seen the Drucker
books--they're in the permanent collection of St. Lawrence
University where my wife is a curator--& they are indeed lovely
objects. My wife & I buy art from time to time, including artists
books, & I have no objection to artists of different sorts getting
paid for their work. I was trying--always difficult in e-mail--to be
ironic: given all the talk about materiality, I found it odd that an
avant garde poet like Drucker was so into fine editions, which are
ready-made elite consumer products, however lovely they may be. I
guess I like a feistier kind of materiality. And then this morning I
found it remarkably ironic that someone as cutting edge as Alaric
Sumner could so easily divorce price from object--as if books were
somehow outside the economy. A real materialist like me cannot
perform this feat of reification. Really, it's a form of
aestheticism, no? Fact is, I've never been much drawn to collecting
first editions of Faulkner or Whitman, though I was happy to hold a
first of Leaves of Grass in my hands in the rare books room of the U
of Iowa library many years ago. But that was a religious, not a
literary, experience--I read very few of the words in the book as I
held it in my hands--I just knew Whitman's hands had held the same
object. Look, I'll have to take up the Platonism thing tomorrow, I'm
too beat tonight to think it through properly, but I do want to
offer a defense of content.  It's not that I don't love & value
beautiful books--I am just skeptical about the claims being made for
some of the ones mentioned here recently.

jd
======================
Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts, box 5750
Clarkson University
Potsdam NY 13699
315.268.3967
http://web.northnet.org/duemer
http://www.grammarbitch.com/ppp/index.html

Sing so dogs bark, oxen bolt,
So a girl walks out on her lover.
Sing so dogs bark, bulls bellow,
So the old coot crawls out of his hut.

[Mekong Delta 1971, trans. John Balaban]