> Aside from the gender issue (again), do people really rate Wendy
> Cope that highly as a poet? I'm interested because most poets /
> critics that I've spoken too seem to dismiss her poetry without
> really discussing it as undemanding light verse aimed at a sort of
> Classic FM / Daily Mail  / middle class audience.

I rate her highly as a poet. The poem at issue here is not one of her best.
Some of the poems in "Serious Concerns" are small miracles of concision, I
think, getting a whole relationship ruefully into a few lines. The tight
form contains and regulates a real sadness and need. I can't quote offhand,
because someone's stolen my copy (usually a sign of a book worth reading).

Most poet/critics dismiss her verse because she's not doing what they want
poetry to do. Maybe she belongs in a  tradition with Dorothy Parker,  and
maybe Edna St Vincent Millay.

 George
George Simmers
Snakeskin Poetry Webzine is at