  Dear Helen,

  Where in Australia are you based now? I've lived in Melbourne all my
life,but was born in Papua New Guinea (in '74). Maybe we could meet up at a
festival down the track. We'll be in the US for quite a while but hope to
visit home too.

  One poem I love is David Shapiro's 'For the Princess Hello', which I found
in the New York Poets anthology edited by Shapiro (circa 1970). The late
John Forbes was my tutor for a couple of years and he encouraged me to read
Ashbery, O'Hara, Ceravolo, Shapiro, Schuyler and others. Where were the
women in my bookshelf? There were the Australians Gig Ryan and JudithWright,
among others.

  I don't know whether my intro went to everyone, so here it is again. I've
been publishing in magazines/newspapers since 1995 and have been published
in the UK, New Zealand and on the net (in Jacket & Thylazine). I've got a
book coming out from Potes & Poets Press this year (called 'Winter
District') and Ken Bolton's doing a chapbook this year too.

  I seem to write poetry well only when I've come to some point of
  integration- I absorb new concepts, feelings, what I've read etc and then
a little later these come together obtusely in poems. This is
  a process that seems to change little- frustrating at times. Though it can
be sped up, with much caffeine and sleep deprivation!!

  Hope we can meet up some time Helen.

  Cassie Lewis