--On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 2:26 AM +0000 "Roddy Lumsden"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Also, re your query about Fellow Commoner -

entitled to dine at High Table and share certain Fellows' rights - can't
vote at Governing Body or be a member of Council etc.

varies from College to College. apart from full Fellows, those who have
rights (but not full Fellows' rights - ie voting etc) are Visiting Fellow,
By-Fellow etc.

Fellows are long-term positions that vary in "title" - Professorial,
Senior, Junior Research, special categories etc.

some writers here are Visiting or By-Fellows, others Fellow Commoners - but
these titles aren't just for writers and "owners" might come from any
field.

some of us are writers here who have full Fellowships - living in Cambridge
rather than "visiting". in my case I moved from a By-Fellowship which I
held as a writer for a couple of years to a Fellwoship (I'm a "writer" and
also teach).

it's a strange world.

best,
jk