Doug,
yes Aileen makes an important & useful distinction regarding notes.
Reading over her two posts I'd say her bias is toward unity. Perhaps
your bias tends in the other direction , as does mine. I wrote a
poem last year that concludes with a two-line parenthetical
statement. All my trusted readers had the same reaction "You can't
do that. It's an after thought, an aside. Besides, it contains a
literary allusion!") My reaction: Exactly--I wanted to undermine the
unity of the poem. My parenthesis is functionally a note in the
sense that you mean. As for the other sort of note--the
contextualizing or informational sort--I'd agree they probably ought
to go at the end of the text unless one wants some immediate effect.

All the recent discussion about notes is predicated on the
conception of the poem-as-text, don't you think? I was somewhat
critical of Jon Corelis' recent cri-de-coeur regarding the poem as
utterance, but the idea has stuck with me, at least in so far as it
defines one end of a spectrum. In the present discussion, such a
conception of the poem would be at the opposite end of the continuum
from the annotated text.

(Aileen & Jon, apologies if I have misrepresented your views.)

jd
======================
Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts, box 5750