valid and founde(re)d... what price the Rev. Canon, roll on Bloomsday. I
still have my mother's Quiller-Couch, prize-won at school - what a smoking
barrel that was, marked me forever, Francis Thompson's poppy poem blew my
mind, " Oh truly fickle and fickly true, Do you know what the years will do
to you?"... Can't remember now if he included the Mariner, but there was
practically no Chaucer or Donne, which didn't stop me discovering them at
school; seriously, Jon, are there people who religiously abide by and obey
the OBEV, who never peek at Collins' Albatross (can that synchronicitous
happenstance be true?) or whatever Garland of Immortal Poesy? And don't they
all mainline Norton anthologies in the States? Ain't it good for people to
be introduced to a different sailor now and then, if that's not too
promiscuous (that marinere sublimates a lot, doesn't he? - but the
water-snakes give him away; hallo sailor, come up and see me some time, I'll
introduce you to some Lore&Lies). The 1805 Prelude is a "real poem", so's
the 1st Quarto Hamlet, je ne dis pas que non to "We must love one another or
die" of sainted Auden - why be so stuffy about it?
Cheers, Martin