Among the marks of pedantry, however cutsie, is a strong tendency to underestimate the knowledge & intelligence of the reader. ergo cit.

Erminia Passannanti wrote:

Dear All,

being Mediterranean, can I disclose to you - Britts, Americans and
Australians -
what this mysterious greenness means? ( Am I now adding something very
essential to the understanding of Saffo's line? It is probable: We have an
idiom that says that enviousness turns you green, like bile. Since greenness
is the very color of  someone's complexion when ravaged by such a feeling,
thus she would be greener than grass; since, being a poems of jealousy, as a
initially illuminated  you All about, this is the effect on humans of this
debasing sentiment: Saffo is envious of the beauty of the young man.
Understood?

For any other clarification, please, do not hesitate to contact me!  ; )

Love and  affection,

EP

======================
Joseph Duemer
School of Liberal Arts, box 5750
Clarkson University
Potsdam NY 13699
315.268.3967
http://web.northnet.org/duemer
http://www.grammarbitch.com/ppp/index.html

Sing so dogs bark, oxen bolt,
So a girl walks out on her lover.
Sing so dogs bark, bulls bellow,
So the old coot crawls out of his hut.

[Mekong Delta 1971, trans. John Balaban]