----- Original Message -----
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2000 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: Bizzare! (in the french) and the indeterminate-

> I think rather that philosophy has been attempting, with various degrees
> of success, to replace poetry, although perhaps both are these days
> rather cowed by science.

Exactly, Alison. What seems, according to my dim lights, is that the
language of philosophy, somewhat pushed towards homelessness by predictive
science, and its kudos it forecasting eclipses and making electricity, has
invaded the nearest possible poor relation, i.e. the most threadbare sister
of the muses, poetica.
And as our culture has split poetry into something that , as a 'serious'
consideration, has to be mediated by a 'cold' pseudo-technical language,
replete with airy references to this commentator that, the art itself is
being simultaneously buried (it's so nice to get attention) by a language
that is amenable to academic promotion prospects, on the one, dithering,
hand, and a false broad give-me-grant populism on the other. In either case,
its reception is being swallowed up by languages of control.

(re Daniel's problem with his messages - when I first set up this the pc
formed the reply to Alison's address rather than poetryetc. Now I've not
seen this happen before and maybe it sheds some light on Daniel's problem.
Dunno)

david bircumshaw