Andrew,

You say: "What's this got to do with poetry? A lot, for me. Two books ago,
and nearly
a decade ago, I wrote in search of myself, heavily influenced by Lowell,
Berryman, and the so-called confessional poets (how I hate that term). Now
I am endeavouring to broaden my subject nature without losing the strength
of those poems written from an emotional pit."

I've just looked at your site and read the rosary poem and the poem about
your nephew/brother/father. Since I'm not familiar with your earlier work
I'm totally unjustified in this conclusion, but it seems that the strength
you're writing from now is probably the same strength you wrote from
earlier, it's still deeply felt, but your circle of concerns is larger
because you've grown.

I'm curious though about this phrase: "I am endeavouring to broaden. . . ,"
and in a wider sense I'm curious about how other people handle this
transition. At what point does a writer decide to stop doing what they've
been doing and do something new? Is it always so intentional? Is the
transition generally smooth or not? Was it for you?

Judy Smith McDonough, editor, poetrynow
http://www.poetrynow.org