In a message dated 12/8/00 7:18:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< For me,
 creative activity (as opposed to the writing I do in
 my professional life) is more *listening* to something
 faint and subtle than wilfully generating product, and
 when I can't hear anything I *really* can't hear
 anything, and I know it.  And to "make something up"
 to fill in the silence seems an insult to the creative
 endeavour, which for me is definitely about "telling
 the truth" at a level that runs below the surface
 frazzle of the conscious mind. I can't always do it,
 but I know when I have and when I haven't, and work I
 produce that doesn't tell the truth at this level
 always ends up being discarded.  Not to mention
 filling me with self-loathing  >>

I'm not certain one shouldn't suspect (mistrust) the poems
one "hears inside" oneself as much as the poems
one "invents willfully." I do endorse the discarding. I get
the sense sometimes that poems are being published
without discernment, willy-nilly, throw it up against the wall
(of cyberspace or print media) and see if it sticks. Writer's
block may be a bad thing...but writer's reticence
isn't.
Finnegan