Sure Jim, the debate about whether Hope and Wright are 'great' poets or not,
is not new, and that
is exactly the point: when will Australia's cultural authorities feel
confident enough to be assertive in their positions? (perhaps the answer to
this is evident in the current dialogue!)

Mateer's article is not so much concerned with whether we 'define' Hope and
Wright as 'great' or not, but rather that when given the opportunity to
engage/create a critical culture within Australian poetry - there is a
'postponement of judgment', the typical oz reticence, reluctance, hesitation
etc.

With the passing of these two poets, I thought that this hesitation would
decrease, as is the usual way of  'Greatness'.

cheers
deb