Alan Marshfield said:

>You're obviously right, there are many forms of difficulty, each nesting in
>its own family tree.  I've been less interested in the manner of Williams,
>Zukofsky, Olson than that of Stevens, Wilbur, Hecht, where the point is more
>in the said than in the unsaid, more in rhetoric than in voids.  I'm getting
>round to Williams slowly.

and that's one good way of putting it. Another would be to note that the
Stevens line (if such it is) is much more tied to the romantic mode, and
also that, formally, the Pound-Williams line takes up collage as a method.

But it may also have something to do with personality, 'taste,' etc. About
which it's hard to argue...

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta