Jon Corelis wrote:

>   Cleverness is a technique, which can be well or poorly used like any
>other technique.

What a very odd thing to say, Jon--as if intelligence itself were
a "technique" to be acquired by training or practice. But maybe you
mean something along the lines of "street smarts" and other kinds of
applied intelligence(?). I can certainly see how "cleverness" might
designate a certain poetic intelligence brought to bear on individual
poems--an intelligence that all great and even good (enough) poetry
probably evinces. (Keats, did you say? Now, there's a clever one!)

With Muldoon, though, the term seems to be designating a foregrounded,
self-conscious "cleverness" as a poetic stratagem in some of his work
(for better or worse). I would never take anything that conspicuously
foregrounded in a poem by someone as obviously intelligent as Muldoon
at face value, since the aim of it's foregrounding is likely to be
beguilement. He doesn't have to prove how clever he is, in other
words, so I wonder what he's up to with his swash and his swagger in
the Gaelakota tongue of those cleverly bespoked poems.

"Holy Thursday" doesn't seem to me to have that sort of quality at
all, though, with its muted, vaguely "kindly" air of languor--a
downstyle that deploys simplicity as seasoning and gives this poem
(stew, soup) an unexpectedly rich, robust broth: a very clever poem
indeed (as Peter Howard has already noted).

Candice