Peter wrote:

>Nor are all the activities we
>would not describe as 'work' not visible manifestations of love. (For
>example, taking my wife out for a surprise meal isn't work, but is an
>act of love.)

Taking your wife out for a meal _is_ work.  Is it only women who talk of
"working" at a relationship?

Perhaps I've made a tacit distinction between "work" and "job", one
having several dimensions, the other just an economic contract in a world
which contains bosses and exploited labour.  There are lots of shadings
of that.  (Actors will often talk about another "job", for example, which
has nothing to do with their "work", the serious business of their art -
is this only a theatrical usage?  And it's entirely possible to love your
job.)  I've done lots of jobs for money, but I don't think of them as my
"work".   Why does "work" equate with joylessness?  I was born
beetlebrowed, I can't help that - but I can't work out how it's possible
to experience joy without admitting its negative aspects, the possibility
of loss, grief, mortality; it's like being half alive.   And I'm never
happier than when I'm working hard... (except when it's going badly, and
then I'm miserable).

Re Erminia's statement about the corruption of being professional:
Shakespeare was a professional writer.  With a "career".  He received 33
guineas for a play, if I remember rightly, a lot of money in those days;
and he owned a theatre.  And I like the word "amateur", because it
foregrounds love.  But these distinctions seem rather extrinsic to me;
there's no inherent virtue either way.  There's certainly no virtue in
poverty.   I like to be paid for my work (which is where this started).
Though I'll do it whether I'm paid or not.  Why?  Stuffed if I know.
Ionesco calls it a "mental necessity"; that will do me.

Cheers