Both of these anecdotes are more illustrative of problem publishers
than of problematic copyright laws. There's no law that stipulates
maximum quotation lengths of either three lines or 10%--the latter
is just a rule-of-thumb measure that's become conventional, while
the former is no measure at all, having been applied across the
board to Heaney poems of varying lengths, apparently.

Publishers like those described here erode fair use (often in a
clueless as well as faithless) effort to avoid paying permission
fees to each other, which is precisely the aim of the fair-use
exemption they thereby undermine. It's a vicious circle that
does a real disservice to writers by reducing the audiences for
their work, and its absurdity becomes clear when one publisher
brings out a study of Heaney or Ondaatje that should win the poet
a wider readership, but, in imposing a clip-art quotation policy
on its author, no doubt discourages and even loses some potential
readers of the poetry. What then goes around comes around again in
a reduced audience for that publisher's own book on the given poet.

Candice