   This was sent some time ago to a previous incarnation of the
poetry-etc list, but I'm resending it now because I believe most of the
contributors to the current discussion of poetry and violence weren't on
the list then.

   One distinguished and very politically involved poet (who so far
as I know doesn't follow the poetry-etc list) said that while he
approved the poem, in no small part because the vividness of the
violence drove home how horrible it was, he also felt there was an
uncomfortable moral risk that such vividness would backfire by
unintentionally catering to the general human fascination with violence.
He admitted that he himself had never solved the problem of how to
portray violence convincingly without seeming to celebrate it at least
by subtext, and I'm not sure if I have either.  But the poem has been
generally well received.