> I think Peter Howard's poetry group have over-active
> minds. I too thought it was "a fairly innocent
> autobiographical poem about wandering around a town
> with not much to do" and even if I'd seen it without
> the last verse I wouldn't have thought otherwise. If
> you read a threat into the man's idle musings I think
> you must be desperately "looking for meaning" where it
> wasn't meant to be.

This is only legitimate: it is the right of the audince to add an extra-
text. This is the fun of literature: it transcend , it goes beyond the
author's intention. The author's intention can be even censorious, at
times.
I am afraid, this might sound too neo-hermeneutical, but the
dictatorship of authorship has come to an end, decades ago (with Freud)
and is fully established now , through surrealist poetics and
practices, modernist theories,in our postmodern age (see Umberto Eco's
Opera Aperta). The readers might read, and project in someone else's
work what he feels and what he is like.
It islegitimate to "looking for menaing" where it wans't meant to be.
It is viceous also. Since it is what happens in legal trials where one
is accused of something that he hasn't done. The accused says "I did
what I did innocently". The accusators say "There is not such a think
as innocence".
Fatal abuse. But, here you are. If you do not want to be abused, you do
not expose yourself, you do notwrite or join discussion groups (the
literary orgies).

Erminia