>> John A.
>> Scott (whose book of three narrative poems St Clare
>
>part of a four-in-one being edited for bloodaxe at the moment.

That's excellent news, John.  Also, Thylazine is publishing an e-book of
John Anderson's New and Selected, available from the site, which I
recommend highly.

I was fishing for other responses on the list - wondering who's read the
work, and what they think.  St Clare wasn't published that long ago - my
copy is 1986 with UQP.  It seemed to have fallen into a gulf of amnesia,
I hardly see it mentioned anywhere, and it's a book that deserves to be
remembered.  Its re-release might redress that.

It was controversial at the time - didn't it tie for the Victorian
Premier's Prize? - and it certainly inhabits some dark and uncomfortable
ground.

I'm a little tired to say anything sensible, but I was toying with the
notion that Scott and Anderson both sank from general view (it's not as
if they vanished entirely) because of the very particular nature of their
poetics; both draw from European poetry extensively, and created very
complex and idiosyncratic poetries, neither of which sit very easily in
the various broad categorisations which have haunted Australian poetry.
But, whew, what poetry.

Best

Alison