>Douglas Barbour wrote:
>
>> Andrew
>>
>> That's a good list, in good order --
>> >
>> >In teaching I've been using a little ladder of the power of words in
>> >language, first pinched off Glen Phillips of this list:
>> >
>> >Nouns
>> >
>> >Verbs
>> >
>> >Adjectives
>> >
>> >Adverbs
>> >
>> >Propositions, conjunctions, articles, pronouns, etc.
>>
>> -- but I wonder about those propositions: the return of that grand old
>> form, the apostrophe?
>
>Propositions?  Such as, "Come on up and look at my etchings, little
>girl"?

Kari

I'd say that's one, but the apostrophe is a form, the address to a specific
figure. E.D. Blodgett, a fine Canadian poet has foud the form extremely
liberating, and has just published his fourth volume of the series,
Apostrophes, which is nice to see, bringing an old form back to life.

On the other other hand, what happens on street corners may also, alas, be
a 'proposition'...

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320	(b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

	Reserved books. Reserved land. Reserved flight.
	And still property is theft.

				Phyllis Webb