Just like to back up Candice's points here (and a blushful thankyou,
Candice, for your interest in my work).

I can't imagine that poetry does _not_ involve thinking about all sorts
of things - with all due respect to everyone's right to think about the
things which interest _them_ (I really do not think it's compulsory to be
interested in what interests _me_).  To want to write immediately raises
all sorts of problems: what it means to write things down, what it means
to think, what the relationship is between the written, the thought, the
said, the perceived and the "real": whether writing is an act which is
subject to same moral pressures as other human actions and if so, how it
is: and so on and so on and so on...all of which has exercised better
(poetic) minds than mine for some centuries now.  And personally, I find
all these questions of more than absorbing interest: they attack me every
time I sit down to write.

I've been dipping into Nietzsche recently, always bracing, and find his
rebuke of poets still worth some attention: "They have not thought deeply
enough: therefore their feeling - has not plumbed the depths."

But aside from all that: the great thing about email lists like this is,
if you're bored with the current discussion, you can always start another
one which interests you more.

Me, I've never been one for workshops.

Best

Alison