Candice, I have a feeling my remark was referring to social realities
rather than psychological syndromes, although what you describe is quite
recognisable - ie I was rather more literally thinking that I cannot
think how a person could survive without some degree of dependence on
other people: and that therefore any kind of autonomy of the self cannot
but be ultimately an illusion.

How this squares up with Wittgenstein's argument on solipsism I have no
idea.  But I have a feeling they are linked.

I'm a little blurred this week - I finished my book, all 380 pages of it.
 (Yes!)  Naturally I've come down with a shocking cold...  But some
thoughts -

Love which seeks to be more than a projection of individual desire onto
an unwitting, even if willing, object - there are some who argue there is
no such thing - requires the self to permit the other.  To love the other
for him/her self, beyond the controlling expectations of the lover, which
can be a shattering experience for the self.  I link this in fact with
acceptance of death.  In this case an autonomous self, in the less
radical sense you mean, might be one which can survive this shattering
and construe it as positive, can see that the boundaries which vanish
under the pressures of alterity are limiting and blinding.  What might
less than ideally be perceived as indifference might be in ideal
circumstances seen as acceptance.  Rather than the trammels of possession
the autonomous lover might seek mutual freedom.  No question that this is
difficult almost to the point of impossibility, but at this point I can't
help thinking of Rilke's comment that lovers should seek to protect each
other solitudes.

Not that Rilke was the most stunningly successful of partners...but I
think he had a clue or two about the problems.

Of course there are many kinds of love beside romantic love.  All equally
difficult.  But difficult need not be negative.  Writing poems is
difficult.

Best

Alison