On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Andrew Burke wrote:

> To quote from BIG SKY MIND (Thorsons 1996), pg 131, Ginsberg talking:
>
> "My own poetry's always been modeled on Kerouac's practice of tracing his
> mind's thoughts and sounds directly on the page. Poetry can be 'writing the
> mind,' the Ven. Chogyam Trungpa phrased it, corollary to his slogan 'First
> thought, best thought,' itself parallel to Kerouac's formulation 'Mind is
> shapely, Art is shapely.' "

There's also the thought that "mind is shapely, art is shaped". What
always moves me about art - it doesn't matter what kind - is that it has
been made by another human being, that in a painting, say, it is possible
to see the traces of actual movements of a person's hand. And there is a
serious question about technological art in this - it dates so quickly
perhaps because the hand's trace, if it is present at all, is present at
several removes.

Ginsberg's statement may bear some relation to Octavio Paz's ideas of
originatory or primordial rhythm.  Which in themselves might also relate
to ideas of ritual as repetitions of origin: say, a creation ritual is in
a sense a re-creation.

Best

Alison