I am pretty sure many of you have read Il Nome della Rosa, Umberto Eco's
cultural development from his early thesis on the aesthetics  of St Thomas
Aquinas,

Recall the passage of the reliquary, with  fragments of the bones of St
"Something"
at the age of 34 and, kept in another another reliquary box, the fragments
of the same Saint
at the age of 57.
Both set of fragments found in the two (different ?)  place of his
martyrdom.

A digression:
Viewing  the relics of a Saint always induces me
in a trance-like state; I feel like being seized by an
overwhelming loss of will.
Once, after a very decent and interesting three-days International congress
on  the Literature of Voyage in Southern Italy,
we all went to visit the local Cathedral,  in Ravello, where the relics of a
Saint (Saint Bartholomew's , if I remember well)
were kept - (yes, now I recall...St Bartholomew's blood yellowish and
clotted platelets where immaculately kept in sealed container made of gold
and glass) . Under the effect of that spell, while standing in the darkened
chapel in front of the reliquary, among the crowding group of colleagues - I
grasped the hand of one of the French academic (who had had a paper on
Wagner's Parsiphal in Ravello) and held it tightly against my stomach for
the entire 3 minutes visit of the Holy site, out of which , the French
Professor's eyes out were of the orbits.....Later on, solicited by his
pressuring courtship,  I resorted  to the excuse of a post-hypnotic amnesia,
saying that I was completely forgetful of what had taken place in the trance
under the effect of St Bartholomew's relics.

Erminia

http://communities.msn.com/ErminiaPassannanti

http://www.lycos.it/dir/Arte_e_Spettacolo/Letteratura/Autori/Novecento/