Briefly -

I've already deleted the post that's prompted this one but it referred to
the ownership of language by the status quo (obviously a paraphrase) - my
difficulty with this position is this - and I think it would be useful to
speak of the English language rather than the rather more nebulous
'language' -
How can the English language be said to be owned by anyone ? the crucial
point is that there is no such entity  but rather a variety of dialects, of
areas (can't think of the right word) of language and one way poets can
challenge the status quo is by avoiding 'poetic language' and the
traditional forms. The Language poets are only one example of those who
have, with varying degrees of success, incorporated areas of language not
considered poetic.
Which leads me to another point - language (English or otherwise) is not an
abstract but only exists as it is used, thus (for example) the language of
the masters may be subverted by the usage of their servants, the overlays of
meaning on so many English words is an indicator of this. As, perhaps, is
irony - a mode of thought and thus of speech and writing. Poets can also
subvert orthodoxy by the way they use language.

Geraldine