I asked to see the readers report for a mss I'd submitted
to Fremantle Arts Centre Press, when I lived in WA.
I had a hard time getting it. The book had been rejected.
The readers report was, in fact, very positive, suggesting
that the book be published. The readers name was, of course,
blacked out, as were several lines and sections in the report.
Years later, the reader told me he'd been disappointed by their
decision not to publish. The fact that he broke rank/protocol
and allowed me this information was probably due to the
amount of wine we'd been drinking... still, it was years
on, and the book had since been published...
I didn't ask to see that report to find a reader's name.
I was genuinely curious. Still, you can't help wondering...
My first book was published by Angus & Robertson.
Les Murray actually sent me a copy of his report, which is
the first page in the first scrap book I ever started.

best

Anthony