>From: "Chris Hayden" <[log in to unmask]>

>suppose you are speaking of Athnes, Rome, The British Empire--what about
>societies like Sparta, The Mongols, the Soviet Union?

   Yes, there are exceptions and problems of definition.  But let's look at
some of the indisputably great ages of poetry like the ones you mention:

   Classical Athens:  creation of the Athenian Empire.

   Early Hellenistic Greece:  aftermath of Alexander's empire-building.

    Elizabethan/Jacobean England:  beginnings of British Empire
in Old and New worlds.

   Kipling said somewhere (can anyone remember the citation) that poetry
never flourished but in a race of soldiers.  I think there's something to
that, though I'm not real happy about it.

-

But strength alone though of the Muses born
Is like a fallen angel:  trees uptorn,
Darkness, and worms, and shrouds, and sepulchres
Delight it; for it feeds upon the burrs
And thorns of life; forgetting the great end
Of poesy, that it should be a friend
To soothe the cares and lift the thoughts of man.
                       -- Keats