 As you see, I have so much more
>to say than I've managed to in the poem, so I really should think about it
>some more.
>
>Best wishes
>
>Matthew

I too liked your poem - and saved it. On this score, of having more to say,
I find the best poems are like the best comedians: they know when to shut
up and leave the audience wanting more. (& the best poets at poetry
readings ...)

However, there is room for more in other poems. A loose series is always a
good way to use all the strings on your lyre. I have a few poems where the
offcuts from one massive first draft became separate poems - and one
instance where I wrote a poem in the wee small hours, head foggy yet
moonlit, only to discover the next day that when I disentangled the "I"
segments from the "we" segments I had two poems poems, the same shape and
the same length: Sitting Alone and Sitting Together. They had come to me as
Siamese twins, and I separated them delicately the next day. I am still
mystified by the process of poetry-writing after forty years!

Andrew

Andrew Burke                 Copywriting
[log in to unmask]     Creative Writing
http://www.bam.com.au/andrew/    Editing