Dingbat # 1

HEATHCLIFF (aired in these formats)
    HEATHCLIFF AND DINGBAT
     aired: Oct. 4, 1980-Sept. 5, 1981
     episodes: 13?
    HEATHCLIFF AND MARMADUKE
     aired: Sept. 12, 1981-Sept. 18, 1982
     episodes: 13?
    networks: all previous 2 series originally on ABC,
       later on The Family Channel and Cartoon Network
    animated by: Ruby-Spears Enterprises
    distributed by: Warner Bros.
    owned by: McNaught Associates and Warner Bros.
    format: one Heathcliff cartoon, one Dingbat later
       Marmaduke cartoon, one Heathcliff cartoon and
       another Dingbat later Marmaduke cartoon.

Dingbat # 2

Actor Greta Scacchi can clearly remember her first taste of
Australian schoolyard multiculturalism.
As a 15-year-old, her part-English, part-Italian heritage was
a cause for derision on her first day at school, her second
day in the country.
"These kids who were loud and brash would ask where I
had come from," she said yesterday.

"When I told them, they would say, `You're a Pommy
dingbat, you can't get worse than that!"'

Now, at 40, Scacchi, who is normally associated with film roles
highlighting her sultry
good looks, is playing the mother of a Sicilian teenager in the film
Looking for Alibrandi,
which premiered in Sydney last night and will be released in Melbourne next
week.

Dingbat # 3

The Dingbats is a small band started in 1995 by two to sixth graders named
David Hughes and Eric Snyder in the little town of Beavercreek, Ohio. They
would often sing silly songs together. So one day they decided to form a
band. Then they realized they needed certain things to start a band. First
it was decided Dave could easily just make up simple tunes on a guitar,
without any lessons. Then they both wrote original songs and sang them.
Then the  name of the band was decided over the phone, when they were both
watching the Cartoon Network, and a cartoon staring a talking animated bat
named Dingbat was on.

Dinmgbat # 4

1913 Krazy Kat having appeared in panels of the Dingbat Family, now gets
her\his own strip.

Dingbat # 5

Roma Cannizzaro--in caricature

The tiny symbol signifying the end of a magazine article is called a
dingbat. (Texas Monthly uses a little state of Texas, D has a miniaturized
version of its one-letter logo, and Playboy employs the famous bunny head.)
Though you would be hard-pressed to find an actual article in the
plastic-surgery ad that posed as a magazine, the recently defunct
Dallas/Fort Worth Life Style featured a pouty-lipped, pug-nosed cartoon
rendering of its 40-something publisher's mug. This laughable display of
airbrushed egotism will be missed by cynics and fluff-lovers alike.

I realise this doesn't help much . . . the cartoon I remember was made
inthe USA circa 1955.

John Tranter
from John Tranter
         Editor, Jacket magazine: http://www.jacket.zip.com.au/welcome.html
                 Ancient history - the late sixties - at
                 http://setis.library.usyd.edu.au/tranter/index.html
         39 Short Street, Balmain NSW 2041, Sydney, Australia
         tel (+612) 9555 8502  fax (+612) 9818 8569