I've been mulling over this intriguing connection you've made,
Matthew, and wouldn't be at all surprised if you're right. But
I wouldn't give too much credit for inspiration to list thuggery--
doesn't it exemplify the kind of brilliant, if twisted, lateral
thinking we both admire in Steven Wright?

What I'm wondering now, though, is if there's also a (similarly
twisted) association between the octothorp and the Forward Prize
odds of EIGHT to ONE that Roddy's given you on your Sweeney flutter.

May your horse be on the tic-tac-dough!

Candice