Re: Poetry Review [Re: I Met A Traveller With An Amper
Hi, just wanting to agree with David on his key points regarding the forms of inclusiveness which exclude. Accessibility is a key buzzword and can act in pernicious ways by excercising censorial taste as to what is and what is not considered to be accessible. It's an old chestnut. There will ALWAYS be somebody claiming lockout. The problem with accessibility is that it cuts many ways. It might be claimed that to promote awkward stuff would put regular punters off, because they just might go through the wrong door by mistake, thinking that the general ethos pervades and therefore if they like the place the place will be full of only what they like and so forth . . .

I was at the TrAce conference yesterday and included this as part of a paper on Gateway Rhetorics.

'There's a term proposed by Zigmunt Bauman that i find interesting here, namely 'proteophobia' which refers 'to the dislike of situations in which one feels lost, confused, disempowered. Obviously, such situations are the productive waste of cognitive spacing: we do not know how to go on in certain circumstances because the rules of conduct which define for us the meaning of "knowing how to go on" do not cover them' (Bauman, 'Postmodern Ethics' 1993:164) Framing 'a struggle to know how to go on in the face of a situation which breaks new ground and may challenge old rules' (The Aesthetics of Organisation')  as Stephen Linstead puts it 'whenever we use language in its conventional form we are inescapably trapped into perspectives, biases, distortions and representations without which there would be no knowable world, which for all intents and purposes are the world as we know it, but which are indeed not the world as it is.'

Again that use of 'we'. But i think 'we' here can apprehend that the dichotomy is between a residual binary of plain or accessible approaches that neverless play into these traps of habitual perspectives, biases, distortions and representations blah and approaches that hybridize or carnivalise or directly refuse such. We don't want travellers to get lost and confused and yet 'we' want them to take risks and feel happy in taking such risks perhaps.'
I don't believe that is a clear intention. But there can be lurking anxieties about having to act as a front for things / work one does not feel comfortable being around. Christina will certainly have a broader brush than Chris Meades imho and she cannier.

love and love
cris