Andrew:
It's not that she 'assigned Dickinson with a masculine voice.' Here's
Page 171 (From the Norton Critical Edition -  Adrienne Rich's Poetry and
Prose- When we Dead Awaken (1971).
The actual quote on the female poet: 'but precisely what she does not find
is that absorbed, drudging, puzzled, sometimes inspired creature, herself,
who sits at a desk trying to put words together.
So, what does she do? What did I do? I read the older women poets with their
peculiar keenness and ambivalence: Sappho, Christiana Rosetti, Emily
Dickinson, Elinor Wylie, Edna Millay, H.D. I discovered that the woman poet
most admired at the time (by men) was Marianne Moore, who was maidenly,
elegant, intellectual, discreet. But even in reading these women I was
looking in them for the same things I had found in the poetry of men,
because I wanted women poets to be the equals of men, and to be equal was
still confused with sounding the same.'

>I'm still no wiser as to why Rich assigned Dickinson a
>'masculine voice', particularly since Dickinson's voice was
>so uniquely unlike any other poetries of that time.  Basically
>I'm wondering what Rich decided was *missing* in Dickinson's
>work, or insufficiently delineated, in order to disqualify it.

Better still you can go to the source. With compliments from Ashley Alquine
a list member - 'Adrienne Rich posts on this ring it's
[log in to unmask] Women Poets - it's a discussion group about
women poets. She's pretty active there.'

HH