In the nineteenth-century, it was felt that Shakespeare's women were his
chief glory--vide Mary Cowden Clarke's bestselling The girlhood of
Shakespeare's heroines.

Counting the numbers of lines seems like an arbitrary judgement, in a
theatre in which the audience was also male, and the expected subject
matter--sad tales of the death of kings--pretty much precluded the p.c.
50/50 split in terms of lines spoken.  Shakespeare, within the context of
his times, has always been considered extraordinary for his women
characters. Frances de La Tour certainly stole the show in the recent
Antony and Cleopatra at the RSC--and the script gave her plenty of aid.

David Latane