NEW AND ON VIEW: Mudlark No. 14 (2000)

Sarah Law | The Baptism of the Neophytes

Sarah Law lives in Norwich, England. She has been published in various
magazines including Big Allis No. 8 (focussing on British writers). Her
first full-length collection, Bliss Tangle, was published by Stride in
1999. Forthcoming publications include pieces in Poetry Lab and Pretext
Vol. 2, both anthologies produced by the University of East Anglia, and
future editions of Fire magazine. Sarah Law read English at Pembroke
College, Cambridge, and has a Ph.D. from Queen Mary and Westfield College,
London, on the influence of mysticism in modernist women writers. She is
currently researching the medieval mystics, working in a bookshop, and
teaching creative writing.

Author's Note: The Baptism of the Neophytes is a collection of poems based
on the Renaissance art of Venice and Florence. Since I bought a lot of
postcards during my visit there, the writing is inspired by postcard-sized
glimpses, and the density and uniform length of the poems reflect this.
The poems are intended to stand both as individual pieces exploring the
nature of spirituality, art, and love, and to form a single,
slowly-spiralling contemplation of these themes.

Spread the word. Far and wide,

William Slaughter
MUDLARK
An Electronic Journal of Poetry & Poetics
Never in and never out of print...
E-mail: [log in to unmask]