>Good luck, Rip. But... Didn't Auden take a third or a fourth at Oxford?
>Not a very promising lad in his Oxford days.
>Now back to my task... getting the city of Chicago to recognize the
recently-departed Sir >Stanley Matthews.

>David Zauhar
>University of Illinois at Chicago

Sooner yours than mine David.  It was alas a Third.  A Fourth would have
been entirely creditable, and remained so until my own time, forty years
later.  But as for lack of promise, fie on you.  Didn't he confect the
promise himself right then and there, and go on to make it good, I would
maintain?

But the point of my little scheme is not Auden himself, who'd be the first
to agree that he has absolutely no need of it.  It is mainly a device to
promote respect and self-respect for poetry in a town where it has been too
much battered and scattered of late.

Rip