On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, domfox wrote:

> [...]

When it comes to the dramatic monologue, Browning is quite original
compared to Webster.  That's all I meant.  But Browning is sui generis in
lots of ways. Rossetti's "Jenny" is also very derivative (formally) of
Browning, but superb, like many of Webster's.  I first taught the entire
_Aurora Leigh_ almost 20 years ago, so I'm not interested in suppressing
women's writing--but I have noticed a disturbing trend to suppress
Browning's achievements among younger Victorian lit scholars, most of
whom, unlike you, haven't bothered to read and thus make up their mind
about _The Ring_ or any of his other poems except for a few anthology
pieces. Ditto with Arnold, Carlyle, and a number of other figures whose
work for me is full of quirks, oddities, and readerly difficulties.

Best,  David