The poem is not a very good one. Wendy Cope has written better (eg
condensing 'The Waste Land' to five limericks). Nevertheless, it seems to me
a bit literal minded to see it as a hymn of hate to men. For one thing, I'm
quite sure she doesn't hate men (she has one poem, a pastiche of the 'My Cat
Jeffrey' passage from Jubilate Agno, which is surprisingly moving in its
attempt to understand the male psychology of a lover - surprisingly because
it is after all only a piece of light verse). But more importantly I think
we ought to distinguish between hate and banter, which is only a sort of
flirting in reverse.

By the way, she has another poem called 'TUMPs', or Typically Useless Male
Poets, which, as stereotypes go, scores a few hits - at least it's pretty
true of me

Best wishes

Matthew Francis
[mailto:[log in to unmask]