I knew Rukeyser the last few years of her life and had her read at various
events I organized. She had a very devoted following, part of which was
young women who had become interested in feminism and young women poets who
saw her as a role model, but it also included a sizeable group of more
established poets of all genders. If she appeared invisible it may have
been because her visibility was almost completely in the
for-want-of-a-better-term (and I don't want to get into _that_ again)
avant-garde.

At 10:38 AM 5/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Rukeyser may have been eclipsed for a while by the lingering effects of New
>Critical & anti-Communist doctrines, but she maintains a pretty high
profile in
>the US these days, with new editions of the _Collected Poems_ and _The
Life of