   Thanks to those who responded to my query about early recorded
poetry.*

   It's surprising that early recorded poetry isn't more readily
available.  The earliest recorded poet I've seen a reference to is
Browning, who died in 1889.  If poets were being recorded that
early, this means that in addition to Whitman, Tennyson, and Kipling
(the other examples I know about), conceivably Herman Melville,
William Morris, Swineburn**, Hardy, Bridges, Hopkins, and Housman**
could also have been recorded. But I haven't been able to find any
reference to any such recordings.***

=====

     *  This is a footnote.

    **  A favorite literary anecdote:  Robert Graves records that
        of his earliest memories was of being petted by Swinburne as
        his nurse was wheeling his pram through a park.  Graves
        remarks, "I was too young to knowhe was a poet, but I knew
        that he was a public menace."

   ***  Digging this stuff up could be a good project for someone.