just like to pass this on from other lists.
>> thuan tran wrote:
>>
>> > just done some new poems:
>> >
>> > Monologue #7: Paper Cranes
>> >
>> > http://www.ducthuan.com/Poetry/Mono7/mono7.htm
>> >
>> > Monologue #8: Floating
>> >
>> > http://www.ducthuan.com/Poetry/Mono8/mono8.htm
>> >
>> > Monologue #9: Identification
>> >
>> > http://www.ducthuan.com/Poetry/Mono9/mono9.htm
>> >
>> > -----------------------
>> >
>> > BTW, Merry X-mas and Happy New Year to my all
>> > international cyber friends here at Webartery!
>> >
>> > best,
>> >
>> > Thuan.
>> > http://www.ducthuan.com/

komninos reply:
i believe 'motion' of text is the next big poetic device that is being
explored by many people in this list.
motion by way of flash, animated gif, dhtml, vrml, even html, is providing
freshness to poetry;
by introducing visual unpredictability, you never know where the words are
coming from next, unlike page poems that reveal something by their spatial
layout. much concrete and visual poetry attempts to create motion out of
stillness, to imply motion in stationary word objects.
your floating poem for example plays with our depth of vision and depth of
meaning. whilst we are trying to decipher the layers we are also flipping
between layers to extract links and meanings

by adding other meaning to words, eg the motion, spin, added to the word
head is read differently from the motion, spin, placed on to the word heart
or wheel, or car or love or anger,etc. etc..

by adding choice and user input, as in your identity poem, there is visual
meaning already associated with bar codes, then where in the bar code you
decide to begin i would say greatly affects the outcome of the experience
of the poem, i started in the middle and worked to the right so when i got
to the links on the left i was shocked, so much of the previous stuff being
fairly predictable as a cv type statement, so i thought i was in a poem
which was saying we are all ordinary people, numbers in a system we agree
to allow to control us, but when i received the input from the right side
it changed completely. had i started from the left and worked right it
would have been a different response, or from left to right.

by adding a freedom of motion through a poem, rather than traversing its
surface in a prescribed direction.
your floating poem for example plays with our depth of vision and depth of
meaning. whilst we are trying to decipher the layers we are also flipping
between layers to extract links and meanings, usually our eyes are darting
across pages from left to right, line by line, down the page till we have
finished our scanning.
in cyberspace we read into and around spaces.

komninos

>dear komninos,
>
>read your post to <nettime>
>
>it made me think Lyotard. i'm not sure how deeply he looks into
>'poetry', although he certainly looks at 'poeisis' and the economies of
>language.
>
>in a nutshell, i think one of his projects is to extend a very postmod.
>analysis of meaning (all relative, connected, interwoven, interreliant)
>to human (psychosocial) relations.  but i'm not that familiar with his
>work - not enough to give you anything clear cut.
>
>you should check out
>
>Jean-Francois Lyotard
>THE  LIBIDINAL  ECONOMY
>it'll be on any uni-library catalogue i suppose.
>
>the first few sections (in the intro or chapter 1) are specifically
>focused on 'surface'.
>
>i wish you the best of luck and a happy xmas.
>david teh
>
>Dear Komninos,
>
>You might want to consider checking the archives for a discussion on this
topic.  It took place two years ago, I believe.  Fortunately, I remember
copying many of the titles, and they follow this brief message.  Everyone
was in agreement about Bachelard's text, which you've probably already
read.  Good luck.

>Kala Xpistougena kai evtixismenos o kaivourgos xpovos.
>Anastasios
>

>Henri Lefebvre, THE PRODUCTION OF SPACE
>Richard Sennett, Flesh & Stone: The Body and the City in Western
Civilization
>Lawrence Halprin, Cities
>Edmund N. Bacon, Design of Cities
>Mojdeh Baratloo & Clifton J. Balch, Angst: Cartography
>Vittoria Calvani, Lost Cities
>Gaston Bachelard, "The Poetics Of Space"  trans. Maria Jolas
>Bernard Rudofsky, Architecture without Architects
>Robert Harbison, The Built, the Unbuilt and the Unbuildable
>John Yau, Big City Primer
>Louis Aragon, Paris Peasant
>

>_________________
>Anastasios Kozaitis