From: john valceanu [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 April 2000 04:53
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
Subject: Re: Connecting with other (aspiring) poets.

Helen and David,

I've been watching the e-mail traffic, and I wanted to let you know I'm also

a huge fan of both Charles Simic and William Carlos Williams.

I also wholeheartedly agree that a formal poetry education isn't required
for someone to become a decent poet. Reading, reading and more reading are,
however, essential. Unfortunately, though, all too often where (and if) you
get published is a function of where (and if) you got your MFA. It's kind of

an inbred, incestuous world out there in Poetryland. I concentrated in
creative writing/poetry as an undergraduate, and opted not to go in for an
MFA because I was truly tired of the sycophantic world of young poets. Now
that I'm a little older, and a little more tolerant, I've started moving
back into that world, albeit from the safety of my computer terminal.

Fortunately, more and more voices from outside the staid strictures of
academia are making themselves heard. A lot of them are on the Internet. I
have a feeling the Net is one of the best things that could have happened to

poetry.

I also believe that Charles Bukowski -- whether you love him or hate him --
was a great influence in bringing poetry out of the classroom and back to
the people. I'm partial to the Walt Whitman/Carl Sandburg/Charles Bukowski
populist school of poetry.

Lately, I've discovered Nikki Giovanni, and I've been reading a lot of her
works. She has a simple, playful, folksy style that really appeals to me --
and I appreciate her ethnic perspectives.

Thanks for the tip on Gregory Djanikian... I'll make sure to keep my eyes
peeled for his works.

I look forward to keeping in touch with you.

Take care,
John