John: It's 2:30 of the am and I'm probably less than steady on my head, but
it seemeth me that I was having fun with the notion that the questionnaire
was at least as authoritarian as any critic. Not that the questions are
uninteresting, but I'd certainly decline to answer them in that format and
at the length necessary for coherence.

First time I've ever been called a symbolist, tho. I suppose you mean my
assumption that the poem contains the answers to your questions. Truer for
some than for others, of course, and for one or two of them
indisputable--"is it Australian English you write in/with" should be pretty
easy to sniff out, I'd think.

But I'm back to an example of what bothered me, aside from the demand for
all that labor: "6. Is poetry definable? Comment on liminality." It happens
that I've been defining the action of poetry in terms of liminality for
years, and I've also written about liminality in the context of
anthropology--it's a central principle for me. But asking the question as
you do fairly insists on the respondent responding in your terms--he or she
has to engage liminality one way or another--it becomes pivotal even if
denied. It's not the best way to conduct an interview unless your goal is
to confirm opinions you already hold (I've also been interviewing people
for a long time). And you lessen your chances for having the respondent's
own governing metaphors revealed to you.

OK, beddie-bye.

Mark