Possibly Finnegan got (or feels he got) so many impassioned responses
because, whether or not our heads agree with his main point -- that there
are many different ways of writing, as many as there are writers perhaps,
and many of them 'work' -- we do, as individuals, get rather involved with
the ways that work for us.
And of course, he's right, it's the poem, whether or not it connects,
communicates, 'works' for us as readers, that counts. Yeats often began
with a prose outline & then worked it up, but I love some of Yeats's poems.
Still, I think that on some level both the reading & the writing, as
process, involve a sense of exploration, no matter how it works itself out
(or perhaps that's 'in') . . .

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        People, people -
        ten dead ducks' feathers
        on beer can litter . . .