Douglas said: >I lean to Creeley's take on this, which is, approximately,
'if I knew what
>I was going to say i wouldn't bother...'

Ashbery said a similar-but-different thing once before:

NYQ: You always want a poem to explore unknown territory?
JA:      Yes, that's what a poem is to me; I think every poem before it's
written is something unknown and the poem that isn't wouldn't be worth
writing. ... my feeling is that a poem that communicates something that is
already known by the reader is not really communicating anything to him and
in fact shows a lack of respect for him.

(Interview New York Quarterly 1974)

Andrew

Andrew Burke                 Copywriting
[log in to unmask]     Creative Writing
http://www.bam.com.au/andrew/    Editing